A Sales Manager of Carolina Filters administers the selling activities of Carolina Filters IAQ’s entire product line(s). It includes the planning, implementation, and control of sales programs, as well as recruiting, training, motivating, and evaluating sales force members.
The fundamental role of the Sales Manager is to develop a selling program that effectively contributes to obtaining and exceeding the organization's goals. The Sales Manager will likely decide how many salespeople to employ, assign responsibilities, how best to train each person based on skill assessment and needs, what sort of compensation and incentives to use to motivate them, and how the sales function should be structured for maximum contact with customers.
Scope and Responsibilities
The primary role of the Sales Manager is to be responsible for the development and performance of all sales activities in the assigned market. Staff and direct a sales team that includes both inside and outside sales providing leadership toward the achievement of maximum profitability and growth in line with the company vision and values. Assure that the inside sales team and outside sales are working as a single unit to achieve high customer satisfaction, productivity, and achievement of individual and company goals. Establish plans and strategies to expand the customer base in the assigned area and contribute to developing training and educational programs for clients and the selling organization. The main duties of the Sales Manager can be summarized as follows:
- Responsible for obtaining profitable results through the sales team by developing the team through accountability, motivation, mentoring, skills development, and product knowledge.
- Responsible for managing the inside and outside sales team, developing a business plan covering sales, revenue, and expense controls, meeting agreed targets, and promoting the organization’s presence and unique value proposition.
- Lead and schedule weekly and/or monthly team meetings with the sales team and leadership.
- Embody company culture and maintain high sales employee engagement.
- Meet pre-determined revenue goals through the activities of direct reports.
- Ensure correct usage of CRM and other sales applications.
- Train and ensure adherence to the sales process.
- Be the voice of Sales and an active communicator among the leadership of the company.
Mentoring and Staff Development
- Implement a specific appraisal system that describes the responsibilities and performance standards for each sales team member, set individual territory sales and commission targets, and administers the commission plan.
- Personally observe and mentor the performance of sales representatives in the field on a regular basis.
- Responsible for the planning, recruitment, direction, organization, assignment, and control of sales representatives to accomplish specific objectives.
- Provide high standards of ongoing training for the sales representatives so that they possess sufficient technical knowledge to present information on the company’s products in an accurate and balanced manner.
- Develop a repeatable onboarding program to train new salespeople to ensure success and reduce time to revenue.
- Coach and develop direct reports always.
- Manage the sales administration function, operational performance reporting, streamlining processes and systems wherever possible, and advising senior management on maximizing business relationships and creating an environment where customer service can flourish.
- Responsible for monitoring the sales team’s performance by establishing a system of reports and communications involving sales reports, cyclical sales meetings, sales newsletters, and electronic bulletins.
- Assign sales territories, set sales goals, and establish training programs for the organization’s inside and outside salespeople.
- Demonstrated ability to identify and pursue new business opportunities and close complex sales deals
- Track sales team metrics and report data to leadership on a regular basis.
- Implement performance plans according to company procedure.
- Own the annual sales plan development, specifically advising on realistic forecasts for each product and territory (based on historical data, market trends, competitive activity, promotional strategy, and sales effort), realistic costs of operating the sales force, and sales promotion program plans.
- Analyze sales statistics to determine sales potential and inventory requirements and monitor customers' preferences.
Education and Role Requirements
You must have strong analytical skills and a firm understanding of financial metrics. Travel in the role is expected to be 50-70% depending on field activity. A bachelor’s degree or equivalent, and 10 years or more of sales management experience are required. Deep knowledge of direct sales, manufacturer’s rep, and distributor sales, along with promoting the benefits of a services organization is key. Demonstrated achievement in managing a selling organization of 15-20 inside and outside salespeople in a multi-state region of the US. Knowledge of selling to a manufacturing industrial/commercial environment, with knowledge of filtration, HVAC, gas/liquids processing, hospital utilities, and municipal water facilities is a plus.
Other Skills and Qualifications
Sales Goal Achievement, Negotiation, Selling to Customer Needs, Sales Planning, Building Relationships, Coaching, Managing Processes, Market Knowledge, Developing Budgets, Staffing, Sales Planning, Professionalism, CRM (Salesforce) user acceptance, and Microsoft 365.
- 401(k) matching
- Company car
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
Carolina IAQ is an equal opportunity employer.